Thursday, August 27, 2009

Anvil! The Story of Anvil ****1/2 (rave)

I don't like heavy metal music, but I'm a big fan of documentaries. And when this film was recommended to me last week, I decided to give it a go. I loved loved loved it!! The only reason why I can't give it 5 stars is because I don't like heavy metal music and I had to listen to some while watching the movie. (not the movie's fault; I know, but still..)

This great documentary, directed by Sacha Gervasi (who was at one time a roadie for the band), follows the original Canadian band members Steve "Lips" Kudlow and Robb Reiner as they embark on a European tour in the hopes that finally -THIS time -they will find fame and fortune in the music world. After 30 years together and sharing this dream since they were fourteen, the lead singer/guitarist, and drummer of the group Anvil wonder if this tour will be the one!

As the film follows the band (being led by a rather inept manager, Tiziana), Gervasi tries to find out why the band didn't make it so many years ago. He interviews other successful metal musicians, and shows clips of Anvil's glory days. (clips of what "Lips" likes to refer to as their 15 minutes of fame). Highlighted, is their concert in Japan in 1984 where they got to play alongside Scorpion, Whitesnake and Bon Jovi. These now successful bands felt like Anvil were the players to beat -and beat them they did.

So what went wrong? -Gervasi lets each audience member of this film decide that for themselves. And that, for me, is what made this documentary so good!

Watching "Lips" and Robb once again struggle with the music industry and each other gave me a glimpse into their brotherhood and missed chances. The two band members, although both Jewish and from Toronto, could not be more different. "Lips" is emotional, the leader and passionate. While Robb is quiet, gifted and likes to paint (his favourite piece is something that will get people talking...) The two love each other and fight; and love each other and fight. And as the struggles of the tour are exposed, part of me thought they were both crazy for holding onto this dream (they're both in their fifties, putting their families on hold, in debt, rejected time and time again) and yet another part of me admired the courage, passion and determination they both possess (and need) to keep this dream alive.

As one famous musician says in the film...there are only a couple of groups that have stayed together for over 30 years: "The Rolling Stones", "The Who" and "Anvil". Although I'm not a fan of Heavy Metal music, after watching this film I'm convinced that's got to count for something!

No comments:

Post a Comment